Monday, August 12, 2013

Craigslist Scams - Part 2

I got another text msg from a nigerian scammer this morning. The text quoted my ad title, like I told you yesterday, they wrote that they are interested and they signed the text msg with "Miss Kate". Now that's another method they're using to make people believe that they are for real. As a man, I know the feeling when a woman wants to do business with you. It makes men become very curious and that way they make you want to believe it's real.

For women it's not the same but women also feel more secure when they know it's a woman on the other side of the phone. Most women prefer to do business with women and not men, don't ask me why, it's just like that. Maybe when a woman wants to buy or sell it gives more security to the other side since women usually will not steal.

I started talking yesterday about the 1st rule that will help you not to fall into a scam. Again, the rule is: If it's too good to be true - IT IS. I know sometimes it seems like you found what you've been looking for and that's the main reason people are having hard time to see what they have right in front of them.

Here is a story that happened to me a week ago. I got an order for 20 iPhones 5 from a supplier outside of the U.S and I started looking online where I can found 20 units at once without meeting 20 different people, Suddenly I see an ad on Craigslist that says "100 iphone for sell, minimum purchase of 10 units, send email with your contact info". nice & simple, not too much explanations, just the way to attract dealers. I thought to myself, here's another scam but I couldn't hold myself from trying. So I sent my contact info and I get an immediate reply saying: "Can I call you right now?". Before I continue I must say it was 9PM Pacific time. I reply "yes" and a get a call from a guy that presents himself as a big wholesaler from New York (the time in NY was midnight and that was 1 of the hints I started getting). He told me about the 'company' that he's running, and it's very secure to do business with them since they are working all over the world, selling 1000's of iPhones to customer in Hong-Kong every month etc.

I told him that I need only 20 units and he says that it's ok, for 20 units he can sell it for $350 each, brand new in a sealed box - free shipping. I told him that I wanna come to NY to pick it up myself so he said that it's ok but the price for pick up is $560 (?). At that point I understood what I need to understand but my curiosity didn't let me stop there so I told him I want to check few things and I'll call him in the morning.

Long story short, I told him to email me all the information he can send me about his 'company' and I started checking everything he said. He even told me that I can pay in any form of payment that I want, including PayPal. And than he made the mistake that made me understand he was just a con-man. He gave me his PayPal address and it was "the guy's name"@gmail.com. Now you tell me, do you think something smells bad here?

Before you answer, let me tell you. No company will have a PayPal account with Google email. Think about it for a second. Would you open a Google email account for your company to use it for PayPal account? I wouldn't. When you have a big company that sells a lot of iPhone (one of the most wanted products in the world) and you have a website, usually the domain of your website is the same domain of the email.

He called me few times after we talked the other day and tried to convince me to buy from him and tried to convinced me to send him money. Again, why would such a big company will chase after me? I'm only buying 20... not 1000 units. By the way, with PayPal I had no problem, If I'd send him the money PayPal would have pay me back but that's not the issue here. I didn't want to wait 30-45 days for the money to come back to me. Moreover, he always gave me different information. At first he said $350 for each and than he said $300 each. after that he also said that he will "through" me a iPad-Mini. Now that's what I mean when I say - Too good to be true.

Until the next time... don't let 'em get ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment