Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The PayPal scams

Every time scammers asked me if they can pay with PayPal I was afraid to agree since in my mind I thought I have it all figured out. I thought that they really send you money and when they get the package they put a complaint on PayPal.com that they didn't get anything and when that happens PayPal actually blocks you and hold all your funds till they case is solved and I wasn't so sure that I can win this since I thought that if they really send me money than they are probably very good at this and they can win for sure.

So I decided to check it all out. I opened a new email account and than I opened a new PayPal account and I put a selling ad on Craigslist and waited. I didn't have to wait so long, after less than 10 minutes I got the first text. We "closed" the deal and I gave him my new PayPal address and after less than 2 minutes I got an email that says that I got a payment waiting. I logged into my new PayPal account and I didn't see anything... I opened the email again to read carefully what it says and I wasn't wrong, it says clearly that I have a payment waiting.

Than I looked at the email address that sent it and guess what, the title says 'PayPal' but the email address says something else completely. Than I figured it all out, they don't even send the money, they just want you to think they sent it. Eventually I sent the guy a fake UPS tracking no' to let him think I believed him and since then I try not to answer them although sometimes it's attempting to fool them :)

I said it before and I say it again. PayPal will never send you an email that the title starts with "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member". They will always start with your name, like that: "Hello Jerry Stein". Moreover, always check the email address that sent it, don't just believe the title, they can fake a lot of stuff but they can't fake the email address.

Don't let 'em get ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment